Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Little Playground Monsters

Let me tell you what happened to my son at the park this afternoon. We planned this big day at the park with a classmate of his and his brother's today. We were all having a good time, and then the boy had to leave and we stayed a bit longer because I was enjoying the fresh breezy air outside, and so were the children.

I had met another mom at the park and we were busily chatting as I was watching my kids in the sandbox. All of a sudden I see this little monster throwing sand at my son. He's on one of those little tractor toys with the digger on the end. I see this boy bend towards my son still throwing dirt. I'm yelling to my son to come over as I'm walking towards him. He gets off the tractor and has this look like he's about to cry. I was wondering where in the hell this kid's parents were. Clearly they were clueless as to their son's whereabouts, and someone could have easily snatched the kid up and taken him. I told him(rather loudly) "Let's go sweetie, clearly this boy isn't being supervised very well and should be disciplined for doing this to you."

I didn't know what to do. I headed to the car and didn't know until we were on our way home that this boy had in fact bit my kid. I was in shock myself and my son was now in tears. "It hurts mommy". He didn't break the skin. But you could see the outline of this kid's mouth on my son's upper arm. Four little dots each positioned for two upper and two lower teeth markings. His arm was a bit swollen and I called his dad because I truly didn't know what to do. Should I go back and find this boy's parents and confront them or just let it go? Since he didn't break the skin his dad said the parent probably wouldn't do much anyway, seeing too how non-observant they were in the first place with this child's behavior they probably wouldn't care.

What kind of parent let's their kid act this way? I will admit my kids are far from angels, but they wouldn't purposely go after another child just to get their way. With each other, they fight over the silliest of things, but when they are out on the playground, they are so easy going and play fairly well with others.

I'm just annoyed with the fact this happened to my son and even more annoyed by the fact the parents were oblivious to it all. I wrote a letter to the HOA which is really the only thing I could think of at this point. If my informing them can save other children from the wrath of this little playground monster then at least something good will come of this.

To the irresponsible parents of this child I have this to say to you: I know that accidents happen, but when your child intentionally goes after my child, that's no accident. I shouldn't have to wrap my kids up in bubble wrap before they head to the playground simply because you don't know how to control your kid. If he can't play nice, you need to keep him at home where he can bite you instead of innocent children who didn't instigate his unruly behavior. I know for a fact my child wasn't instigating it, because I WAS WATCHING HIM!

No comments: