Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Nobody and Not Me....My Two Favorite "People"

Welcome to my parenting blog. It is a wonderful joy for me to share the fun and not so fun moments of my parenting journeys. I thought I'd start this one out with a little bit about the two other children I have in my family. Their names are Nobody and Not Me.

Nobody ever listens. It's true. I have spent most of my days as a mother uttering these words and often find myself talking to the Wall. The Wall seems to listen more than Nobody ever does. Take for instance this evening. We have new neighbors, and my daughter is the most excited out of all my kids as she is the only one who doesn't have a little girl playmate. Yesterday when talking to the little girl's grandmother, I gave the little girl our phone numbers and told her when she can come over and play or wants to play at her house to call our numbers. This afternoon from the time my kids got out of school, they were telling me how they wanted to go over to this girl's house. I kept on telling them, "they have our numbers, they will call us."

That information doesn't register in the minds of 6 year olds and a 5 yr old girl, and apparently not in the mind of a 51 year old man either. After JUST explaining to ALL of them that they need to wait for her to call, their father tells them to go ahead and knock on this girl's door when he got home from work. The grandmother answers, says that the mom will be home in fifteen minutes and she will let the parents know that they want to play. Half an hour later, after I told them just to wait until she calls them another day, he sends them back over there.

No answer at the door. "But mommy their car is upfront!" I tried explaining *(again mind you) that they are probably busy and that they may be eating dinner like we just did. I told them just to wait until she calls them. Of course Nobody listens. And as soon as their dad is done watching his show, he walks them down there. I'm thinking I am not going to be a part of this fiasco, I'll just hide here behind my puter monitor, expecting them to come back right away.

Nope.

They were there about a good ten minutes before I finally mustered up the courage to go down there for recon and bring my troops back. I introduced myself and just told them I wanted to meet them. I asked the mother if they were busy, turns out they were, it's daddy's birthday over there and they were going out to dinner. Baby got up from a nap(i was too afraid to ask if the kid's and their dad ringing the bell woke the poor little guy up). I could feel myself squirming at this point. I wished the dad a happy birthday and hoped my kids would follow...seriously...chalk on the sidewalk and going home with mommy...guess which won?

Now onto Not Me. He's my favorite little character. Not Me has a way of breaking things, leaving yogurt and spilled milk on the carpet and my favorite was when the dog got out of the yard a few days ago, Not Me was responsible for that one too. My oldest, who is 18, told the kids one time "I'd love to meet this Not Me character, I have a bone to pick with him." lol.

I had just got done making the bed upstairs. The house was spotless(according to my standards anyway, immaculate will never happen in this household LOL). I went down to get a load of laundry and came back up to find the bed in a disarray. I called all the kids upstairs and asked them "WHO DID THIS?"

"Not me", says my daughter, and my twins, both in unison said "Not Me".

I give up.

If I ever find the little Leprechaun, Fairy, Elf, Gnome, or other invisible intruder I'll have to ask him if I need to show him how to change the toilet paper rolls in the bathroom. Because it seems like that roll is always full when everyone else needs it, but me. And when I ask "Who used the last of the toilet paper and didn't change the roll?!" I get the ever famous answer...

"NOT ME!"

*sigh*

No comments: