Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pajama Day and Girl Scout Cookies, Two of My Favorite Things

It's reading week at school this week. Last night we had movie night and celebrated Dr. Seuss's birthday with a birthday cake and three movies, the Sneetches, The Zax and Green Eggs and Ham. We bought one bag of popcorn and three bottles of water at a dollar each, plus one box of girl scout peanut butter cookies at $3.50 each. Total for last night's "free" movie night at the school...seven dollars and fifty cents. Actually $8.00 I gave the little brownie a fifty cent tip when I told her to keep the change. LOL I was utterly disappointed at how much smaller the actual cookies are and so are the boxes. The price has gone up considerably over the years and I can't believe I actually shelled out almost 4 dollars for a box of those things. The four of us only had 3 cookies each with three left over to take to their dad when we got home.

There was a giant cake that said "Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss", one red iced and one blue iced. It was a nice evening for us, and they had a raffle of Dr. Seuss goodies (free tix) and I was hoping we'd win the giant stuffed dolphin and book. No such luck. Kids were upset they didn't get to win, and I tried to explain to them that only nine people would win. Then I told them to look around and see all the people who were there. They even gave away uniform T-shirts, one for each family member in one winners family.

Today was Pajama Day and I wore pigtails and put on my robe and my comfy jammie bottoms and a tshirt. I took in my daughter's MY LITTLE PONY doll named Starsong since I didn't have a blankie.LOL The boys were in their spiderman jammies and my daughter was in her Disney Princesses jammies. The principal had a Marvin the Martian shirt on, Spartans pajama bottoms and a green robe with his name on it. I was suppose to read, but there were quite a few moms and the principal who read to the kids, that the teacher told me I'd have to do it next week when I come in. Bummer. :(

My daughter just walked up to me now and told me "Mommy I know why penguins are mean to people," and I asked her why, she says to me, "Because they are black". I didn't quite understand her thinking, so I probed a little further. "So, are black people mean?" She said yes. I told her "No they aren't. You're Auntie Tawanda(a friend of mine) is black and she is a nice person." Then she looked at me all puzzled and grins. "oh," she says to me. I don't know where she got the idea that black is bad. I don't want her thinking black is bad. I tried to tell her that sometimes in movies they make monsters black to be scary, but that just because a person is black doesn't mean they are bad or scary. I told her that white people can be mean and so can black people, but it's not because of the color of their skin. Then she said to me "well, Peter is mean to me." And I said "Peter is mean to you because he is mad, not because he's white." Not sure if she grasped the whole color concept as a whole here yet. I may have to have a refresher conversation in a few days.

It's time for lunch I better run. Think it's going to be grilled cheese and tomato soup day here, followed by some tasty peanut butter cookies the teacher gave to me this morning since she couldn't give them to the kids(peanut allergies for some).

See ya later! :)

No comments: